What was life like during the Stone Age?
What should I already know?
· Life existed before your grandparents were born.
· Millions of years ago, dinosaurs lived. Evidence of this was found by Mary Anning, who discovered fossils.
· What climate means and an example of it.
As historians we will learn to:
· Changes in Britain from the Stone Age to the Iron Age, late Neolithic hunter-gatherers and early farmers, for example, Skara Brae
· Bronze Age religion, technology and travel, for example, Stonehenge
· Iron Age hill forts: tribal kingdoms, farming, art and culture
belonging to the distant past, especially to the period in history before the end of the Roman Empire (AD 410)
someone who studies the past by exploring old remains
an object from the past that shows evidence of what life was like
A period of time in history when people started to make tools out of a metal called bronze.
a period of 100 years
Latin meaning ‘around’. c. 800 BC means around 800 BC.
a human society with its own social organisation and culture.
the general weather conditions that are typical of a place
If someone makes a discovery, they are the first person to find or become aware of a place, substance, or scientific fact that no one knew about before.
a period of time in history. An era often begins or ends with an important event.
no longer has any living members, either in the world or in a particular place
when an area of land is used to produce crops or to breed animals and livestock.
a piece of stone used in fire-starting and as a tool
collect things together
the floor of a fireplace, or the stone or brick area in front of it
a piece of land that is completely surrounded by water
the removal of trees, or other things that are not wanted from an area to clear the land.
Middle Stone Age
movement from one place to another in order to settle there
an early species of human being, now extinct
New Stone Age
a person or a group of people with no fixed home who travelled around to find shelter.
Old or ‘ancient’ Stone Age.
traces of the past
something used to help when needed.
people who migrate to a new place. When people start a community, this is a settlement