Welcome to Owls!
Welcome to Owls class page. Here you will find our about our learning journey for the year and important dates for the diary.
Autumn 1 - Where do we live?
This half term, our intent for the children is to develop their spoken language in order to discuss and perform a story.
As Scientists, we will be learning about seasonal change. To do this:
- I can observe changes across the four seasons.
- I can observe and describe weather associated with the seasons and how day length varies.
- I can work scientifically to gather and record information about the weather to make tables and charts.
- I can observe the weather closely using simple equipment.
- I can use my observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions.
As Geographers, we will be learning about our local area. We will create a floor plan of our classroom, use maps of school and its surrounding area to follow a route and draw our own map of Tipton using symbols to show the human and physical features in the local area.
As Artists, we will develop our drawing skills and learn about the famous artist Paul Klee. We will:
- Use different thickness pencils.
- Draw lines (vertical, horizontal, diagonal, wavy, zig-zag)
- Create textures using dots and lines.
- Apply colour using coloured pencils by following the line.
Our approach to learning phonics is through using Letters and Sounds: Principles and Practice of High Quality Phonics.
Letters and Sounds provides us with games and resources to support our teaching of phonics. It aims to build pupils’ speaking and listening skills, as well as prepare pupils to learn to read, by developing their phonic knowledge and skills. It sets out a detailed programme for teaching phonic skills, with the aim of pupils becoming fluent readers.
Please can reading books and reading journals come to school every day. When reading with your child, ask questions about their book, ask what they liked about the book and write a comment in their journal to let us know how they are getting on.
Enjoy reading some free eBooks here - https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/
Enjoy reading some phonetically decodable books here - https://www.phonicsplaycomics.co.uk/comics.html
Spellings and Homework
Homework and spellings are given out on Wednesday and are due in on Monday. Please work together to complete the homework and practice spellings. Children will be tested on their spellings on a Tuesday.
In Owl class, P.E is on Tuesday and Friday. Please ensure P.E. kits are in school every day as lesson times might change.
We have outdoor P.E. You must ensure you have your outdoor P.E. kit for this day. Kit includes a plain shirt that is your team's colour, shorts/tracksuit bottoms and trainers.