Why does Easter matter to Christians?
Explore what people believe and what difference this makes to how they live, so that pupils can gain knowledge, understanding and skills needed to handle questions raised by religion and belief, reflecting on their own ideas and ways of living.
We will achieve these outcomes so that we can:
Make sense of belief:
• Recognise that Incarnation and Salvation are part of a ‘big story’ of the Bible
• Tell stories of Holy Week and Easter from the Bible and recognise a link with the idea of Salvation (Jesus rescuing people)
• Recognise that Jesus gives instructions about how to behave
Understand the impact:
• Give at least three examples of how Christians show their beliefs about Jesus’ death and resurrection in church worship at Easter
• Think, talk and ask questions about whether the story of Easter only has something to say to Christians, or if it has anything to say to pupils about sadness, hope or heaven, exploring different ideas and giving a good reason for their ideas.