Spanish at Sacred Heart
Spanish Lead: Mrs Iqbal
Intent, Implementation and Impact
- To be good communicators – language will be modelled to encourage speaking and listening including in Spanish.
- To be enthusiastic, lifelong learners with a passion for other cultures and languages.
- To understand how to keep themselves safe and be respectful in their communities by being educated on different cultures around the world and different languages spoken.
- To develop their talents by being creative in learning a new language
- To be independent, resilient learners who enjoy challenges faced when learning a new language.
- Every child in Key Stage 2 at Sacred Heart's access Spanish through a bi-weekly, language lesson as well as using their language skills in daily activities across the curriculum.
- Introductory Spanish begins in KS2 with formal lessons and educational games and progress through the curriculum where the pupils start to demonstrate an understanding of basic grammar, listening, reading and writing skills.
- The children love learning Spanish and show great enthusiasm for learning a new language.
- We celebrate culture at different points throughout the year, including during a International Week and Experience Days, when we have visitors to enrich the children’s learning.
- Through the high quality first teaching of Modern Foreign Languages taking place we will see the impact of the subject in different ways:
- Children will be provided with opportunities to communicate with each other in Spanish.
- Children will be given the opportunity to look at other languages – particularly if children are bi-lingual.
- Children will learn how language skills can be applied to a range of languages.
- Children will become aware that language has structure, and that the structure differs from one language to another.
- Children will develop their language through development of the four key skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- Children will enrich their language learning by developing an understanding of the Spanish culture.
Our MFL curriculum ensures that children develop their knowledge of where different languages, including the range of home languages spoken by the families of the school, as well as Spanish, are spoken in the world.
We use Language Angels as our main learning platform. It is full of exciting and engaging activities and resources including songs!