Hope you're keeping safe and well.
Here are next week's activities for you to have a go at :) x
Week 6 - 1.7.20
Follow the link below to complete the activities on similes and metaphors.
Below you will find 4 different examples of a reading comprehension.
Please have a go at all of these, and remember our skimming and scanning technique we have been using in class.
Please follow the link below:
Once you have done this, please look at the work for the 18th May (Adding and Subtracting fractions).
We are working a week behind White Rose as I am conscious this is new learning for some of you.
If you don't understand it after watching the videos, please don't worry. We will revisit this when we are back at school.
Please have a go at the activities below! Hopefully you'll enjoy them!
Using the above picture please do the following:
- Make a prediction of 100 words based on what you think will happen next.
- Create a mind map of the setting focusing on detailed adjectives. Use a thesaurus to up level them further.
- Create a story plan using introduction, build up, problem, resolution and ending.
- Using your story plan, create a 250 word story based on the picture.
Your success criteria is the following:
- subordinate clauses
- speech marks
- use of ellipsis to create suspense (...)
- correct punctuation
*Send the finished story to me on google classroom so I can have a read.
Follow the link above to have a go at rounding decimals.
There is a video and a set of learning activities for you to do each day.
We have already done rounding decimals so see what you can remember.
Please continue to play TT Rockstars - last time I heard we were beating Willow!
Keep up the super work :)
Before we broke up from school, we were investigating how certain items dissolved in water. We also looked at how soluble certain objects were.
The next thing we were going to be investigating was how we could recover a substance from a solution.
Work with a sibling or parent to have a go at the above experiment.
Let me know how you get on.
Missing you all
Miss Rock x
Week 4 activities - 11.5.20
Watch the music video
Have a go at the following activities:
- Watch the first minute, discuss what has happened? What has caused this? Why?
- Ask the children to write a description of the first scene, use the show not tell technique to create thoughtful writing.
- Discuss the boys character, how is he presented in the first scene, how does this change?
- Write in role of the boy, use his emotions through the story to gain an understanding of his feelings and whether he comprehends what is happening.
- Look at the ending, who is to blame? Why? Is the boy acting in self defense? Can he control it?
- If you could have a superpower what would it be?
- You wake up one morning to find you have incredible strength, what do you do? How would your life change?
- Design you own superhero, what powers, costume, name would he have?
- Write a newspaper report of the events from the video, interview the teacher, parents and policemen.
Multiplying and Dividing problem solving
Follow the link where White Rose have a lesson for each day of the week and a Friday challenge.
David's new watch
1. Read the passage about David's new watch.
2. Highlight/underline the following:
Red - subordinate clauses
Purple - time related words
Green - exciting adjectives
3. Create an advert/poster for David's amazing watch.
4. How much David be feeling when he realised he had lost his watch?
5. What is the moral of the story?
Before lockdown, we were looking at Materials and their properties.
See what you can remember, and have a go at the two activities.
Don't forget to take part in the TT Rockstars battle. I think we are against Willow this week.
Take care and stay safe
Miss Rock x
Week 2 & 3 (continued activities) - 27.3.20/4.5.20
Hi Year 5,
Hope you're all keeping safe and well.
I made some lovely cakes last week for my family and some of my friends who work at the hospital. I thought we could have a go at these when we come back to school, what do you think?
Home learning this week
Rather than start new learning, I think it would be better for us to recap what we were learning about before we finished school.
Using the link below to the David Walliams site (at the bottom of the page) and the book of the 'Worlds Worst Children' if you have it;
1. Create a character description about one of the characters in the book. Including a picture, name, age, personality traits, what does she/he looks like and a small paragraph about what she/he is like in the book.
2. Create an acrostic poem about the character. This doesn't have to rhyme.
3. Create a Powerpoint about David Walliams as an author. Start with his early life - where he was born, his family, when was he born etc. Moving to his childhood - where he went to school, his parents, what did he enjoy doing? Adult life - how did he become an author?, what inspired him? his favourite type of books? do his books have some sort of meaning to his life like Roald Dahls did?
Please follow the link to see your Maths activity.
Before we broke up we were looking at reading and interpreting different types of timetables (bus, train etc) You were fantastic at this!
Please join Twinkl if you haven't already, it is free for everyone at the moment, and this will help you access the resources.
There are Powerpoints and lots of different questions for you to be getting on with.
Also, please continue to use your TTRockstars account to practice your times tables.
Mr Newbold has set up a battle for classes to play against each other so have a go at that.
Your passwords are in your home learning packs.
Try and read as much as you can each day to a family member or even to yourself. Remember before we broke up, we were doing lots of work on expression and tone of voice, especially when different characters are speaking.
Don't worry if you don't have access to any books, I have attached a link below. There are lots of books on here, that can be read to you.
Mindfulness and well-being
Please also take this time to spend time with your family, baking, playing board games, watching a film - lots of things that we sometimes take for granted.
If you are finding things difficult, I have attached a link below to some mindfulness yoga, this will help calm any anxieties you may have.
Missing you lots and lots,
Home learning activities
Hope you're keeping safe and well.
I am sure you have been busy doing your home learning packs that were sent out so I thought it might be quite nice to do something a little different this week.
I would like you to spend some time over the next 2 weeks doing:
1. A short poem or letter to thank the nurses and doctors for all their hard work. (Keep these as we can display them when we come back to school).
2. A diary entry about what you have been up to over the weekend. Think about adding humour, suspense and detail.
3. Create a birthday card for Tom Moore, the 99 year old (who will soon be 100) War Veteran who has raised millions of pounds for the NHS by walking around his garden.
4. Create a research page about Tom Moore. Who is he? Where does he live? Where did he serve in the war? How much money has he raised? What family does he have? Where was he born? Feel free to add any other information you find out.
It would be great if you could sketch a picture of him as well.
David Walliams has also created some videos where he is live reading chapters of 'The World's Worst Children'. We loved reading these in class, so thought it would be nice for you to have a listen to David Walliams reading them and enjoying his humour.
There are also lots of activities on there from his different books that you could be having a go at.
Missing you all very very much